PDA

View Full Version : mirrors and training?

ninikins
30-07-2006, 09:21 PM
I've heard that mirrors can affect the training of a budgie as it can bond with the reflection instead of you. Is there any truth in this?

HollysMom
30-07-2006, 10:58 PM
I've never heard of such a thing! It could be true, though, since they do tend to interact with their reflections by pecking at it and whistling at it.

sbarber77
31-07-2006, 01:30 AM
hey, it could happen. I bond with myself every day. LOL!

In all seriousness though, I have no idea.

Zanzi
05-08-2006, 03:51 AM
Mirrors do at times encourage mating behaviors, and this will distract your bird from bonding with you. But I am not sure that the distraction is so great that you would need to get rid of the mirrors altogether. :o

D.C.KEAN
05-08-2006, 02:04 PM
Ive trained budgies that have had a mirror in their cage, the only downfall is that they may not talk if they do have one

Plumley
05-08-2006, 06:02 PM
Somewhere in the dim recesses of my mind I vaguely remember hearing something like that. At the time, though, I had a very friendly, tame budgie who also enjoyed her mirror, so I didn't take it to heart. Every bird I've had since then has had a mirror. Some were on the less tame side but I attribute that to age or lack of time on my part, not the mirror.

MalandJose
15-08-2006, 04:26 PM
We have had joey 18 mths (from 6 weeks). He has always had mirrors - hundreds of them all over the house! He regularly visits every one and interacts for a time - though he does have one favorite (won't say what he does)! This has not stopped him bonding with us and he talks incessantly. I'm sure it all boils down to how much time you devote to your bird - ours is part of the family and gets constant attention though he is left alone in the house for 4/5 hours per day.

LynseyHat
16-08-2006, 03:55 PM
Buster also has mirrors all over the house. His favourite is in our kitchen which is a big mirror over the fireplace (fire never lit). He will chatter away to it and sometimes feeds seed to his reflection. He's still the same old chatterbox though whether he's looking in a mirror, sat on the settee or sat on your shoulder so I don't think having mirrors affects them as long as you spend time with them as well.

Zanzi
16-08-2006, 05:34 PM
I think Lynsey hit the nail right on the head! As long as you spend a lot of time with your bird, they will be able to overcome whatever distraction the mirror gives them.

wlctrent
19-08-2006, 02:06 PM
Yes, actually it is true. When you are first starting out training your bird, you don't want to put them in with another bird or a mirror. It does distract them. Once you have trained them it is okay.

redgirl
21-09-2006, 03:50 PM
A mirror is great for solitary budgies as its like company for them, they do interupt with training I think..well I have heard that they do but I have used mirrors with Eddie before I had Joey and Eddie still mumbles so it maybe goes by the actual bird as all birds are different.

classylady
04-11-2007, 07:12 AM
Having been looking through some of the old posts on here I just had to comment on this one...... My budgie had and still has about 4 mirrors in and around the outside of his cage (he is only locked in at night and when I go out). I had him from 6 weeks old and he is a brilliant talker and finger trained ALL with him having mirrors. I think it's an old wives tale about not giving them mirrors if you want them to talk or train.... Mine is trained as I say and talks non stop. I think what is needed is your full attention to train them... they love mirrors of course but as with children, budgies need attention given to them to flourish.

Chrissie

Barrie Shutt
04-11-2007, 08:03 AM
Having been looking through some of the old posts on here I just had to comment on this one...... My budgie had and still has about 4 mirrors in and around the outside of his cage (he is only locked in at night and when I go out). I had him from 6 weeks old and he is a brilliant talker and finger trained ALL with him having mirrors. I think it's an old wives tale about not giving them mirrors if you want them to talk or train.... Mine is trained as I say and talks non stop. I think what is needed is your full attention to train them... they love mirrors of course but as with children, budgies need attention given to them to flourish.

Chrissie

chrissie i agree with you in the 1960s i had a pet shop and almost every family had a budgie complete with mirror,you can still converse with a budgie and mirror but give it a pc and try and talk they would just ignore us,well thats how it works with the kids.

Budgieman
04-11-2007, 10:15 PM
Mirrors are bad because budgies aren't usually smart enough to understand that the budgie in the mirror is not real. They will begin courting their own reflection and bringing up food from their crop to try to feed it and they can get an infection. Multiple birds in the same cage with a mirror may also consider other birds that go near the mirror as rivals and may attack them.

classylady
05-11-2007, 04:57 AM
Mirrors are bad because budgies aren't usually smart enough to understand that the budgie in the mirror is not real. They will begin courting their own reflection and bringing up food from their crop to try to feed it and they can get an infection. Multiple birds in the same cage with a mirror may also consider other birds that go near the mirror as rivals and may attack them.

Budgieman, I can only speak from experience of having one budgie and I think it essential for a lone bird to have a mirror. I shouldn't think multiple birds in an aviary would need one, (one would hope people don't keep multiple birds in one CAGE).

Barry - deffo re a PC and kids.... hehe... tho if you gave it to the budgie, I'm sure it would be better behaved and not ask " Do we HAVE to go to bed" lol.

Chrissie

Barrie Shutt
05-11-2007, 07:18 AM
i think mirrors and grit fall into the same debates for or against,if it works for you use it.

reguritating food will not give the birds a infection or they would all suffer when breeding.

Budgieman
05-11-2007, 09:09 AM
Budgies also don't understand why a reflection isn't responding to their attempts to be friendly which can cause them frustration and stress.

And what is wrong with keeping multiple birds in one cage? I have 4 of them in a cage and there is no problem.

classylady
06-11-2007, 07:19 AM
Budgies also don't understand why a reflection isn't responding to their attempts to be friendly which can cause them frustration and stress.

And what is wrong with keeping multiple birds in one cage? I have 4 of them in a cage and there is no problem.

Depends on the size of the cage! I guess if they are only locked in at night and cage open all day for them to go in and out it would be fine.

Chrissie