PDA

View Full Version : Essential Oils?

Jackie P
17-01-2007, 06:54 PM
Hi - this is a long shot I know. I routinely use lavender oil and tea tree oil for myself. Providing they are a good quality they are excellent for burns, skin problems etc. (My husband once 'degloved' his finger in an accident and puts his now perfect finger down to the lavender oil I used on it daily for a month). These two oils can be put undiluted onto the skin providing the person is not allergic to such things and they are used in small amounts. Has anyone any idea if they can be used with budgies? I have NO intention of trying them, don't worry, but I wondered if anyone else had tried or had any knowledge of anyone using them? My gut feeling is that they would HAVE to be very diluted and even then I don't think that I would try except in an extreme emergency when I had no access to an Avian vet.

Can I just say that ALL other essential oils should normally only be diluted with a carrier oil and you need to be very careful about how they are used so PLEASE don't use them unless you have read up on them first or consulted an aromatherapist.

Budgieman
17-01-2007, 10:10 PM
I wouldn't. Budgies are very susceptible to anything with an exceptionally strong smell like perfumes. Lavender oil is used as scent in soaps and such, so i would imagine that it isn't going to be bird safe.

Jackie P
18-01-2007, 09:30 AM
I wouldn't. Budgies are very susceptible to anything with an exceptionally strong smell like perfumes. Lavender oil is used as scent in soaps and such, so i would imagine that it isn't going to be bird safe.

Yes - that makes sense - they are all pretty powerfully smelly - I am still not sure how John went round for all those weeks and got away with smelling of lavender!!??