Notices
Closed Thread

Thread: budgie symptoms and basic info

1. #1 budgie symptoms and basic info 
    Found this on letstalkbirds.com and thought it might be useful here.

In the wild if budgies let their guard down and show they are unwell they will become the victims of predators. Therefore it is natural for budgies to conceal their illness as long as possible.

By observing your budgie daily you will learn its normal behavior and anything out of the ordinary should draw your attention. If your budgie looks ill it normally means it is really sick and can deteriorate extremely quickly.

When you detect any of the following signs of illness you should take your budgie to an avian vet as soon as possible - try to visit a vet experienced with birds so a correct diagnosis can be given.

Signs of illness to watch out for:

abnormal breathing
    abnormal droppings (note the quantity, color, consistency)
    abnormal feathers, feather growth, or molt
    abnormal sleep pattern:
    - continuous
    - both feet on the perch when normally one foot is tucked up
    - head tucked under the wing
    - head turned towards the wing with eyes only partly closed
    any change in normal activities:
    - talking or chirping
    - playing with toys
    - preening
    - interaction with other birds
    - interaction with humans
    - energy levels
    - different perching area
    black spiky head feathers (except during molting)
    bleeding
    discharge from the beak, eyes or nostrils
    disorientation
    drinking a lot more water than usual
    drooping head, tail or wings
    dull or swollen eyes
    excessive feather picking or plucking
    face and head feathers coated with mucus and semi-digested seed
    falling off the perch
    fluffed up appearance
    hunched over posture
    loss of appetite
    lumps or swellings on the body
    sitting on the bottom of the cage
    soiled vent
    untidy appearance
    vomiting
    weight loss

Thank you for posting this here. This is all good advice.

That was brilliant information..thanks so much for sharing xx

4. #4 newbie 
    That is some great info.

But how do i know what "normal" drppings look like and such.

Anyone have some kind of an article on what is normal so i have a comparison.

thanks

I am new here, and new to having a pet Budgie.
    I have had mine for about a month, and he's awfully quiet. He a little more active in the mornings. So we got a second one yesterday. The first one is about 6 months old, and the new one is only 2 months old.
    Our first one hangs his head alot when he's sitting on his perch, and there is a "slight" bit of brown above his nose. I am wondering if he may have an upper respiratory infection. Now if he does, I noticed that you can buy medicine in the pet store for that. Does anyone know if that stuff works, or if it can hurt the bird if he doesn't have anything wrong with him? I'm new at this, and really don't want to have to bring him to a vet if it's not necessary.
    Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Jackiev View Post
    I am new here, and new to having a pet Budgie.
    I have had mine for about a month, and he's awfully quiet. He a little more active in the mornings. So we got a second one yesterday. The first one is about 6 months old, and the new one is only 2 months old.
    Our first one hangs his head alot when he's sitting on his perch, and there is a "slight" bit of brown above his nose. I am wondering if he may have an upper respiratory infection. Now if he does, I noticed that you can buy medicine in the pet store for that. Does anyone know if that stuff works, or if it can hurt the bird if he doesn't have anything wrong with him? I'm new at this, and really don't want to have to bring him to a vet if it's not necessary.
    Thank you
    Don't try medicating your birds without the advice of an avian vet. You could do more harm than good. Are you quarantining the new bird?? You should always quarantine new birds for 30-45 days before introducing them to your other birds to protect them from any illnesses the new bird may be carrying. You need to get that bird to the vet as discharge from the nostrils could mean many things. You don't want to wait too long because as was said elsewhere, birds hide their illnesses for as long as possible at a huge expenditure of energy. If a bird looks ill, it means he no longer has the strength to hide it and may be near death. Sitting low on the perch with the head down is definite sign of illness. It means the bird either isn't strong enough to perch upright or it is painful for it to do so. Definitely get that bird to a vet before you lose it.
    Last edited by Budgieman; 22-10-2006 at 01:58 PM.

I have a budgie that I have had for three years now. He sits almost horizontal on the perch but there is nothing wrong with him. He only does it to sleep.

My budgie was sick, I went to the vet and they gave her some medicine. She had all those symptoms before and after the medication she remains with most of the symptoms? Should I take her to the vet again? She is clearly getting better but it's been a month?

It would be a good idea to get your budgie checked again by the vet if you are still concerned. They may need to do some tests or try a different treatment. I hope you get some help soon.

The advice regarding sick budgies and signs of illness is excellent. I learned to do a check on my budgies every day - both to be aware of what is normal for that bird in terms of appearance, droppings, behaviour, appetite etc and also to detect signs of illness in early stages. It's so important to know your own bird well. I think we probably all know what it's like to be anxioius about a budgie and wondering if something is different from the norm or not!

Barrie Shutt sometimes talks about a budgies eyes appearing dull and seems to be able to tell a sick budgie that way too. There's so much we can learn from the experts on this forum.

Ruth
    RIP Bobby and Pippin XX

Thread Information