Notices
Closed Thread

Thread: Introducing a third Budgie?

1. #1 Question Introducing a third Budgie? 
    I have come across a little budgie in a Parrot Rescue. I would love to get her and introduce her to my two, but don't know how to introduce. This is a Budgie that seems to never have bonded with other birds. She is very people oriented, not so much other budgies. I do not know how old she is and not sure if that could create a problem either. She does come with a very nice cage of her own, so even if she doesn't accept living with the other two she still has her home. I have a 2 yr old hen and a young cock I believe already. Would adding another hen cause problems? I have not seen her yet, though her description is quite the character. I have been told she is pastel coloring of Blue, Green, Yellow and a bit of White. So that should be interesting to see. I should be getting a picture of her this evening through email. And will post it in this thread. I have filled out the application to adopt her and been approved, so now it's just setting up a time to meet.

Any information on how to try and introduce them will be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.

Sorry I can't help, I'm a newbie, but I just wanted to say how brilliant I think it is if you can rescue this little girl.

Maybe you should let her stay in her own cage, at least for a while, two females often fight over one male apparently. And anyway, maybe she will settle easier in new surroundings if she has her own cage.

Good luck,

Diana

Thanks Diana. Since I do not breed myself, all my animals are rescues. I like finding the ones in need. As for my new Budgie. Since she does have her own cage, I had planned on her staying in it for a while until she became acclimated to the new surroundings. And maybe placing it next to my other cage with the two I now have so they can chat and get to know each other. After a week or so, then I would try to introduce them, but I have heard of hens fighting over a single cock so that was a big concern. Plus the fact that she seems to not have ever lived with another budgie also worries me. Who knows, maybe once she is here and settled, I may find another that needs a home to go with her.

put the new one in a cage in a differant cage in a differant room after 30 days you can introduce them to the newbie then put him/her back in his own cage have them sociolise for however many days until you are happy that they could be friends but they should hit it off right away the 30 days is so ur existing budgies dont catch any diseises and the new budgie can acclimatise to ur house good luck....... cheep-cheep-birdie

Im also new to the budgie world, I got my first from a pet shop a year ago and my new baby from a breeder (mummy L) after a couple of weeks I let my new baby out and visits kiwi my hen from the outside of the cage and they seem to get on ok, but im not anywhere near ready to let them share a cage, but the beauty is they can say high o each other and no probs

6. #6 Her Pics are in!!! 
    OK, here are her pictures. I am going to post in the other thread for people to try and tell me her color. She is GORGEOUS! Pretty much exactly as I expected

ETA: Oh, I guess I need to put her pic in. Sorry, just so excited

What a gorgeous Darling!
    I can't identify her colour, but she is a lovely colour. Would love a similar myself

Thanks so much for your lovely compliments. I am picking her up tomorrow. I was told she is about 4 yrs old, and lays eggs with out a box or mate. Don't know what that will be like since none of my birds have ever done this. I surely hope it's no kind of medical problem.

Quote Originally Posted by 2buggies View Post
    Thanks so much for your lovely compliments. I am picking her up tomorrow. I was told she is about 4 yrs old, and lays eggs with out a box or mate. Don't know what that will be like since none of my birds have ever done this. I surely hope it's no kind of medical problem.
    No she should be fine theyre just infertile eggs.

Quote Originally Posted by dru08 View Post
    No she should be fine theyre just infertile eggs.
    Thanks, do you think I should supplement her with any extra nutrients?

She is here, looks just like her pics. Nice lovely shades of blue with the yellow coming down into her body creating the light green color. She is very finger tame. All you have to do is put your finger out and she hops right on. The only thing is she does not like to be stroked. Just held. The move doesn't seem to have any effect so far. She's just sitting there preening herself. Her tail feathers look pretty rough though. Not sleek and in line my other two. I have her in Quarantine in my dining room. That way she is still around everyone, just not the other birds in the Family room. How long is Quarantine before I can place her cage next to my other? I definitely want to do it right. Thanks so much for everyones help so far

aah, she is beautiful, well done and good luck with her.

Diana

Thanks so much everyone for your advice and kind words. I do have a question and thought it best to keep int he same thread to make things easier.

So Pip has been here 5 days now. She has been very calm and always enjoying time out of the cage and with me. Although today, she has been very moody. She will nip at my hand when I place it in her cage. She does lay eggs and is in breeding condition (I don't know whether that matters or not). Could she possibly just be getting more adjusted and becoming more brave, or could she be getting ready to lay? Or is she just a moody hen while in condition? Her droppings seem normal, not runny, but I've only had her for a few days, so don't really know her norm. Well, thanks in advance for any input.

I think I've decided she is just a moody girl. She was fine after about mid day and wanted to be cuddled.

Thread Information