Notices
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Large budgie vs. Fat Budgie

1. #1 Large budgie vs. Fat Budgie 
    How do you tell if a budgie is overweight or just larger in size? I have one who seems a bit thicker and bigger. I bought her young and she has filled out. She is very active. I take the top off the cage most days and the birds all play and move around and climb a lot. I have recently let her wing feathers grow in so she can fly. I let her fly more than once a day but she's out of shape and gets tired easily.She will make one long fight across our large great-room and after that will land as soon as possible. The other budgies in the cage are all normal sized they feel more "bony" than she does.I have not observed her eating any more than the others.

If she is overweight what can I do about it without separating her from the others?

Here's a photo of her next to another bird. I don't know how helpful a photo is.

and in this photo she is to the right of the green bird.

Last edited by usamma; 01-11-2008 at 07:12 AM.

she looks fine to me, I have 5 budgies and they all vary a bit as long as they do get to fly regularly then this is the best exercise they could get.

y has that budgie got red on it hand

mine get that shannon when they rub against their iodine blocks.

The secret is flying more and longer
    When I got my Tweety he didn't fly very well and seemed out of shape. Now he can fly the long distance in the house back and forth several times.
    If they fly a lot they don't get fat or they lose extra weight
    Does she have a male feeding her?
    There is a difference in size of budgies too. But yours do look about the same in size. Do you weigh them?
    Here is a picture of my birds. It was the green one, 28 g, who was out of shape. Blue Snoopy is 40 g but could always fly much better. Both are the right weight according to the vet.
    Sigrid

Blog Entries
    I have a HUGE pied budgie hen compared to her cage mate another little hen ... the sizes are so shocking. I think some breeds can be bigger in size due to cross breeding that creates the newer colors & size breeds. Your budgie looks fine & healthy, not overweight at all. If the flight feathers have just come back she will act tired after a short flight. It takes time for her to practice & get back into shape. The more she is out & about & flying with her cage mates will fix her up soon. I wouldn't worry at all.
    We are not Professional Avian Vets. Nor are we Gods -(though some sb's think they are)
    We can't see or touch your Pet bird. So don't trust us with its life.
    GO TO A PROFESSIONAL AVIAN VET FOR MEDICAL ADVICE !

Thank you Segrid, Keri, and NickNack! I just weighed her and she's 39.5 grams, so I guess she is still in the healthy range. Thanks for sharing your photos. I see the difference between the two. Shannon they used to have a pink mineral block (berry flavored) that they rubbed on.

Flying keeps'em fit.
    Nat

My budgies wont fly I leave the door open all day and night for them but they just come out and sit on top of the cage I feel bad so I leave some soaked groats for them on top. what can I do to encourge them to fly a little bit more.

Quote Originally Posted by yaanish View Post
    My budgies wont fly I leave the door open all day and night for them but they just come out and sit on top of the cage I feel bad so I leave some soaked groats for them on top. what can I do to encourge them to fly a little bit more.
    Put their favourite treat away from the cage. First very close, like a table right beside the cage. When they find it and go there, move it, then again, and again,until they have to fly a distance. Mine do not get food in their cage
    Also, a play area, budgie tree etc. willl help.

Sigrid

You should try not giving them millet sprays for a while then offering them in a safe place out the cage that could work :-)

Quote Originally Posted by yaanish View Post
    Maybe a hanging perch for them to fly on like in my pictur.. He loves it. It is a big one in my photo but one a bit les wider is up now so his feet are more comfy. Then you could hang millet or cucumber ( or their fave things to eat on it). Just a thought

Mine don't fly very much, either. I have started to put two cages about 10 feet apart and put birds in each cage. They will often want to join their friends in the other cage and will fly there.

When we first let our big hen's (the one I thought was too chubby) wings grow out she had never flown before and didn't know how. I just held her in such a way that her feet were not hanging onto my finger and just dangling. Then I simply let go. She dropped a foot or so and then started flapping and flew! Once she realized how fun flying was, and started to get better at navigating and landing she started to fly more between the cages by herself.

Blog Entries
    Soaked groats & millet are very high in fat & can make your birds lazy & not as active. Give them less of these 2 foods ... serve them as treats only & give it once or twice a week. Healthy happy birds fly climb & jump around more.
    We are not Professional Avian Vets. Nor are we Gods -(though some sb's think they are)
    We can't see or touch your Pet bird. So don't trust us with its life.
    GO TO A PROFESSIONAL AVIAN VET FOR MEDICAL ADVICE !

kath is that a home made perch, Is so pls can I have the step by step manual as I have got some spare apple perches that I can use. I mean every single step each day a new instruction will do me fine I think it will take me about a week I should have the complete perch if im lucky.

Thread Information