Notices
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Help needed - budgie with overgrown top beak

1. #1 Help needed - budgie with overgrown top beak 
    Hi Everyone,

One of my ex-colleague last weekend got two budgies from his father's friend, since they couldn't able to look after them. Unfortunately one of the budgies top beak is very large or overgrown compared to normal budgies beak it seems. Personally I never had come across such thing before, but I have seen similar budgies in pet shops.

Could some one please help me out on how to go about.

Additionally I have the following questions:

1) What causes few budgies top beak to overgrow?
    2) Whether this can be treated? If yes, how do we treat it.
    3) What all things we can give to budgies, so that this can be prevented from happening in future.

Thanks so much

Quote Originally Posted by spickydavies View Post
    the budgie will have to go the vets, it's quick and basically trim it down, i wouldn't do it myself!!!!!

and after that things like cuttlefish bone, and gawing on wood will help to keep it down but he may need regualar trims

is he eating okay ?
    Yes go to the vet to do it. Also a pedicure as well as the cuttlefish so they have two things to trim on

go to the vet and after that give it some ideine block or some cuttlefish

Natural wooden branches, an iodine block and a cuttle fish, provide grit for them to nibble on as im guessing this would also help

Get the vet to trim it for you and keep it up as his/her beak may grow at a faster rate than other budgies, keep on top of it and it should be ok, so long as the birds eating and drinking ok it wont be a serious problem, but it may make him/her feel a tad uncomfortable.

Best of luck with it and hope the vet does a good job
    Claire x
    Claire Bear.

R.I.P Louis. In my heart forever and always <3

For some budgies this is an ongoing problem. I'm not sure of the cause. It would be worth going to the vet and being shown how to trim it properly incase it continues to grow abnormally, then at least you can save some money if its something you need to do often. It is very easy to do with normal nail clippers, however I would reccomend watching a vet do it the first time.
    Nat

Blog Entries
    I suggest to anyone who has a budgie with an overgrown beak to go to a Vet for the first time & see it done. Ask the vet questions & see how they hold the bird & what exactly he does. I did that the first time I needed a budgies beak & nails trimmed. It took less then 2 minutes & the budgie was fine with it. It cost me $30 dollars ... Since then I've trimmed my budgies beak as I feel I learned how to do it & the Vet was kind enough to let me try it on one of my birds as he instructed me. I am now confident in holding my bird & know what to look for & what clippers to use.

There is a thread here that shows you how to do it. It is easily explained with photos & diagrams. You can judge whether you will want to do it or not. Beak trimming is done very rarely on some budgies & more often on others.

Check this Link ...

http://www.budgerigars.co.uk/forum/s...g+instructions
    We are not Professional Avian Vets. Nor are we Gods -(though some sb's think they are)
    We can't see or touch your Pet bird. So don't trust us with its life.
    GO TO A PROFESSIONAL AVIAN VET FOR MEDICAL ADVICE !

Thanks for all of your responses.

Unfortunately here in our place we don't have an avian vet and we have only normal/general vet. Actually my ex-colleague was planning to trim it on his own using nail cutter, but I told him to hold on and let me check with you all before doing it.

Thanks NickNack for the link and if I am correct, I have read this in our Barries web site.

I read that Budgies beak has blood veins and we shouldn't touch this while trimming the overgrown upper beak else budgies will keep bleeding. So I wanted to know how we can identify/tell that from where the blood vessels are in the beak. So that we can safely trim off the other excess portion from upper beak without hurting the budgie.

I think it would be a matter of trimming only the tip where is it obviously too long, just a little at a time and have some cornflour or soap at hand to stem any bleeding.

I think caution is the operative word and always trim too little rather than too much, the photo's on Barries website do show where to trim up to.

Look for scaly face mites, too. They can cause this kind of thing to happen.

Are you in India? Near what city/state? :-)

Have you tried calling the regular vet for some advice? You might also call a zoo and ask if they have a bird expert who can help you, or someone who owns a petstore and sells birds.

If you can't find anybody after all your searches, try finding a pair of baby nail clippers and clip very very little off at a time. I agree about having the corn starch on hand in case of bleeding. You might be able to use a flash light to find the blood vessels. That's how I have trimmed the nails of dogs I have owned in the past. The key is to trim a tiny bit at a time and wait. Barrie's website is awesome!
    Last edited by usamma; 02-11-2008 at 05:45 PM.

I seriously would see how it is done by a vet . It is a new thing to you. You have never experienced this and need to see how it is done by someone who Knows what they are doing:

Thanks Keri, Usamma and Kathy.

I am presently living in Bagalore City and some time back I have searched for bird expert vet, but unable to find one so far. This weekend I am planning to visit my ex-colleague house and per his description over phone it looks to me also that this Budgie is also having scaly face, will confirm this after this weekend visit.

Are we on about a scaly face here or an overgrown beak here,, please keep us posted,, many thanks

Quote Originally Posted by karthik_s9 View Post
    Thanks Keri, Usamma and Kathy.

I am presently living in Bagalore City and some time back I have searched for bird expert vet, but unable to find one so far. This weekend I am planning to visit my ex-colleague house and per his description over phone it looks to me also that this Budgie is also having scaly face, will confirm this after this weekend visit.
    The scaly face may cause the overgrown beak. I'm sure the budgie is lucky to have you being so concerned about it. Maybe the regular vet would have Ivermectin for the scaly face. It is a medicine that is used for dogs and other animals against parasites (ear mites, mange, etc), but can be applied to budgies directly for the treatment of scaly face.

Here is some info about it: http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_ivermectin.html

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by kathy View Post
    Are we on about a scaly face here or an overgrown beak here,, please keep us posted,, many thanks
    Sorry for any confusions caused here. This thread is dedicated to over grown beak.

Quote Originally Posted by usamma View Post
    The scaly face may cause the overgrown beak. I'm sure the budgie is lucky to have you being so concerned about it. Maybe the regular vet would have Ivermectin for the scaly face. It is a medicine that is used for dogs and other animals against parasites (ear mites, mange, etc), but can be applied to budgies directly for the treatment of scaly face.

Here is some info about it: http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_ivermectin.html

Good luck!
    Thanks Usamma. As mentioned, weekend I have been to my ex-colleague's house and Budgie with over grown beak is also having scaley face/feet as we were suspecting/thought. So what I have suggested to my friend is that, firstly we will try to cure the scaley mites and then if necessary will trim the beak.

So I have started below new thread with few pictures of the infected Budgie, which is dedicated to scaley mites and this one is for over grown beak

http://www.budgerigars.co.uk/forum/s...ad.php?t=14652
    Last edited by karthik_s9; 10-11-2008 at 09:28 AM.

my pair of budgie's have just reared some chicks but 2 out off the 3 have overgrown beaks could it be genetic and if so, what should i do?

Thread Information