Notices
Closed Thread

Thread: which trees are poisonous

1. #1 which trees are poisonous 
    I am thinking about putting natural branching into my outside flight, and as I have various trees in my garden which would be the best. I have apple, plum, rowan and elder. Could someone advise me? I am thinking Apple,for the flight but if I can would like to use some branches from the others as natural perches.

Regards
    Scott.

Blog Entries
    Healthy feet depend on the choice of perches we offer our birds,,we need to get this right.

With the odd exception all birds need the choice of several different types of perches,diameter and texture are important.

A budgie should be able to grasp a perch with the claws going three quarters of the way around,thinner swaying perches will offer excercise and play but are not suitable for general perching.

Budgerigars are great chewers of soft wood and bark especially the hens in breeding condition and this is because the wood fibres are rich in celluluose.

Willow would always be my first choice of perches the branches will be stripped and chewed and the Salicylic acid in the branches is the main ingredient of Aspirin - so it has medicinal properties.

Safe natural wood branches for birds include the following:

Apple - Arbutus - Ash - Aspen - Beech - Birch - Cottonwood - Crabapple - Dogwood - Elm - Fir - Hawthorn -
    Larch - Magnolia - Manzanita - Mulberry - Pear - Pine - Poplar - Sequoia (redwood) - Willow.

DO NOT use apricot, cherry, peach, prune, plum or nectarine. These trees all belong to the Prunus species. They contain cyanogenic glycosides which release cyanide if ingested.

Do not assume the leaves are safe and as a precaution i would suggest they are removed.

Eucalyptus branches are nontoxic and are safe to use as natural wood perches.

Although FRESH eucalyptus leaves have been given to birds without causing illness, ingestion of a large amount of the leaves can cause vomiting, diarrhea, crop impaction and muscle weakness in avians.
    Avoid giving DRY eucalyptus leaves or using dry eucalyptus leaves for nesting material. These may be contaminated with Aspergillus spores.

A wild bird might also need to hang upside or climb vertically to reach a piece of fruit, seed or other food item. This variation tests a bird’s balance and athleticism. We should try to create similar opportunities for our captive-bred birds.

Offer your birds a variety of perches include natural,rope,softwood and hardwood,do vary the diameters which will help keep the birds feet healthy.

Breeding birds also use their perches during copulation, making your perch choices even more important. Without a secure perch, a female might not be able to steady herself during the act. At least several of the perches you give your pairs should be soft enough for your birds to destroy. You need to be prepared to replace perches during breeding season.

©2006 barrieshuttbudgerigars S3872.

Thanks Barrie, Thats fantastic, will keep this information. Think it was one of your threads regards healthy feet, and also the fact I have these trees in the garden. Plum tree will get a rather large body swerve.
    Cheers
    Scott

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by scott0805 View Post
    Thanks Barrie, Thats fantastic, will keep this information. Think it was one of your threads regards healthy feet, and also the fact I have these trees in the garden. Plum tree will get a rather large body swerve.
    Cheers
    Scott
    i have just noticed you are from bonnyrigg Scott,i use to deliver there many years ago,are the UFOs still being sighted?

Oh yes! and it's not the locals staggering out the pub on a weekend. There was a few spotted over the last few months, all within a 3 mile radius, and all the same glow and flying in the same formation. Really could kick myself that I didn't take over my parents aviary years ago when they gave up. Do you ever travel up this way for shows or to judge?
    Cheers
    Scott.

Thank you, much appreciated.
    Scott

Don't forget fig branches (that's what my birds use)
    Don't be fooled by cute budgies. They are really bloodthirsty monsters!

Thread Information