Notices
Closed Thread

Thread: Rosa Bourke

1. #1 Rosa Bourke 
    Hi all.

am looking for a bit of info on the rosa bourke. what i am looking for is will they get on with the rest of my birds? i have got budiges finches cockatiel diamond doves and my quails. and will they eat the same food i have got in there for my birds?
    here is a photo of the ones i am looking at.

Thanks Taz

Yeah i should say so taz, they are peaceful birds, and i have never known one to fight.

Shaun - S6927

My Website My Blog

I have them in one of my aviaries, they are beautiful birds, have a wonderful nature and also sweet sounding ;o).

look it to get them but was told not to with my budgies as they will over run them and might kill them? so i have not go for them no more now? or i get two for a big in door aviary by them self?

Taz

Rosa bourkes are fine with budgies, they are a very similar species.

I keep rosa bourkes, budgies, cockatiels and Lineolated together with not problems at all. You can't keep grass parakeets with budgies? Could there be some confusion as they are simiilar birds?

Quote Originally Posted by Freebird View Post
    Rosa bourkes are fine with budgies, they are a very similar species.

I keep rosa bourkes, budgies, cockatiels and Lineolated together with not problems at all. You can't keep grass parakeets with budgies? Could there be some confusion as they are simiilar birds?
    ok thanks for this now i will see if i can sort some out now. how can you tell from cock and hen on them?

With difficulty, the male is a brighter pink with not so much speckling on the head, it's not easy though? When they are young I'd say it's almost impossible to tell the difference. I'm am not expert on sexy bourkes though, maybe someone else can helps answer this question?

Keep an eye out the breeder I got my tiel from told me they had a problem with them pecking the finches feet.
    Rita
    Deliah-Mozart-Jefferson-Phobe-Bettie-Paris-Myles-Merlin-Marble
    Tiel > Douglas-Flow --Ringneck > Indie--Amazons > Charlie & Nelson

Quote Originally Posted by DE DE'S Mum View Post
    Keep an eye out the breeder I got my tiel from told me they had a problem with them pecking the finches feet.
    A friend of mine had a canary and a bourke. The canary terrorized the bourke, attacking him and pulling out the feathers on the his head.
    Finallly, the Bourke defended himself and bit the canary in the feet.

Now, the canary is rehomed with my neighbour..... He would not stop fighting..and he would have lost a leg eventually.

Sigrid

Quote Originally Posted by Freebird View Post
    With difficulty, the male is a brighter pink with not so much speckling on the head, it's not easy though? When they are young I'd say it's almost impossible to tell the difference. I'm am not expert on sexy bourkes though, maybe someone else can helps answer this question?
    We have a bourke hen, so I looked it up a while ago. Hens have more grey on their faces & bodies, and a...well....a flatter head! Males' heads are more rounded, or so they say (I haven't seen a male in person to tell).

Bourkes are very timid & quiet, sweet-natured, and prone to being bullied by other species. Once they get their confidence, though, they can look after themselves quite nicely.

Our rosa hen is housed with 10 budgies, with very few problems among them, so I'd say put them all together. If you find your bourkes are being harassed by the other birds, separate them into a space of their own.

Good luck, and don't forget to show us pics when you get them!
    * Lynne *
    (aka mumsarge and/or Mumsy)

Thread Information