Notices
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How much do budgies cost?

1. #1 How much do budgies cost? 
    Hello everyone! I am new to the forum !

I am soon to be getting two budgies from a breeder and I was wondering what you would think a decent price would be? I have seen budgies at the pet shop for around 20, but will they cost more/less if they come from a breeder. I'm guessing that HQ stock will cost more, but if breeders sell unwanted stock, what would a good price be? Thanks for your answers!

sharky...

P.S...I love the forum! I'll be posting some pics of my new budgies when I get them (about 1 weeks time)...

Hey Sharky, welcome aboard!

Around my way budgies are usually £10-£15, breeders often sell for less to quickly move them on and breeders sell to pet shops so don't expect to get them cheaper at a pet shop, they mark them up.

I was lucky to get mine for free from a local breeder, I often see adverts for around £5-£15 in the Scot-Ads regional paper that we have.

I'd say £10/£15 would be a good price for pet budgies, you'd maybe have to pay £20 at a pet shop as you say but I'd personally prefer to try and get from a breeder, its always a good contact point as well for advice once you get to know a local breeder if you want to grow your flock.
    Last edited by Scott; 24-08-2006 at 08:46 PM.

Hi sharky
    5 - 10 depending on the quality is about the going rate
    here in the north east ( uk ) from the local breeders....... Wayne

i was looking at the adverts in our local paper and there is a breeder selling off this years young..budgies £10.finches£4 and cockatiels£15.the local shops are charging for budgies around £14.

Thank you for your replies! I am going to get my budgies from a breeder - as you said Scott, they are a good contact point for advice and their stock always seems so much healthier than pet shop birds. Thanks again!

sharky...

I breed budgies and sell them for £5 each-they are pet budgies not show birds.Pet shops around here sell for between £12 and £15-some show birds up to about £30 each.Good job I dont do it for the money.Hahaha
    Lisa x
    Mother and nurse to all who are in need...............

well mine cost 12 but thats down in the south east

Mine was from a pet shop in the South East and cost me £7. It all depends, I guess.

Mine both cost 13 pounds from southWest in a pet shop but I`ve seen loads in the WestBriton for like 3-10 but when I was ready to get some there never seemed to be any in the paper I think I got mine at the wrong time of year.

10. #10 price 
    stonehaugh, northumberland national park,uk
    Hi

in the north east breeders sell for 4.00 to 10.00 they also sell at what we call fur and feather auctions usually at cattle marts, I have seen them 5.00 a pair but are generally older birds, without rings age is hard to guess,

I somes look in the ad trader and can find breeders packing up and offering 20 for 60.00
    I keep any new birds separate for 6 weeks just in case !!

graham

11. #11 Smile Budgie cost 
    Hi all.

I would say if you are going to a breder to buy stock always ask what price his birds start from,or say i am not breeding but i would like to improve the size of my budgies in my aviery but only want to spend 10.00 max and get him or her to put up as many birds at that price.Remember august and september is a buyers market with hundreds of birds for sale.October and November are a sellers market so i wouldent buy birds then.
    Pet shops only pay 5.00 and wont buy birds over 12 weeks old so buy wisely and PLEASE check the colour of the ring to see what age the bird is.
    Silver is 2003 Light Blue is 2004 Dark Green is 2000 and 2005 so be carefull and Red is 2006 (exhibition rings).
    I wouldent buy a hen older than 2005 rung and a cock if it is good but old and cheep up to 4 years old 2002
    Also if its a breeder ask what his her ring number is and see if the bird she or he is selling actually belong to that breeder or someone else also please get a pedigree for any birds bought especially cocks to see if or what they might be split for.
    I hope this helps

John

Fallowman.

Breeders near me charge 5 and the pet shops charge 15

13. #13 help plz 
    who are breaders and where do u find them

14. #14 help plz 
    who are breaders and where do u find them

We bought our first two from a local breeder for 8 each, one sadly died and we bought another from a local petshop, as the breeder did not have any. The petshop charged 12.95 but that included 30 day insurance.
    Thanks to some help on this board we found another breeder and will get another two in early November.
    I found breeders hard to find it would be great to have a list. Maybe a section could be setup here where people can post contact details of local breeders?

Thread Information