Notices
Closed Thread

Thread: Need advice please - lump on my budgie

1. #1 Unhappy Need advice please - lump on my budgie 
    Hi there,

I hope someone can give me some help. I have a lovely little male budgie called Lemonade who is 7 months old. He is very bright and active and his days are all about fun and games. I noticed this morning as he was on my finger what I thought was a lump on his back, right below his head. I asked my partner who also agreed that it looked a bit raised in that area.

We tried to hold him to get a look but he hates his back being touched and was wriggling about so much. I gave him his 'shower' under the tap as he lets me touch his back then, but I could not actually feel anything, but the day has went by and it still looks like a lump.

He doesnt seem bothered, and is still talking away, flying about and playing with his toys, and eating and drinking.

Does anyone have any ideas what this could be?

He has just finished molting, and also he is very excitable and constantly bops his head (i wondered if he was doing this far too much and maybe thats to do with the lump?)

Im just worried as my boyfriends mum's bird died due to a tumour this year, and also Lemonade's little friend that he had when we first bought him died suddenly after only a few weeks.

Could it be an ingrowing feather, weird muscle or maybe just his shape changing as he gets older?

Sorry for such a long post ..

Could you post a photo for some of the members to see and give you help?

Welcome to the forum by the way

Hi JoeySmyth, i will take one just now, and get in on. Should be fun as he LOVES the camera! He is sleepy though. 2 mins ....

Thanks.

It will help people identifying what it could be. Hoping its nothing serious.

ok, the first 3 pictures I just took there and the lump is the raised area just at the base of his head on his back, the 4th picture is from a few weeks ago where you can see the comparison that there was no lump.

Anyone have any ideas? I may take him to the vet in the safe side but dont know if I am just worrying as he seems ok (just in a bit of a huff as we have been catching him to try look at it quite a bit today)

SANY0650.jpg

SANY0651.jpg

SANY0652.jpg

SANY0392.jpg

Just give the guys a bit of time and i'm sure you'll get replies.

Blog Entries

Its a little hard to tell .... I think I see a HUMP ... but I'm not sure.

The only thing I can think of is a feather cyst which are quite common & the vet will be able to check & tell you right away if that might be it.

Feather cysts are like an ingrown hair on a human. A bump with infection & mucky stuff inside. They can be dealt with easily. I would see the Vet & what they think.

We are not Professional Avian Vets. Nor are we Gods -(though some sb's think they are)
    We can't see or touch your Pet bird. So don't trust us with its life.
    GO TO A PROFESSIONAL AVIAN VET FOR MEDICAL ADVICE !

Thank you NickNack, yes i will take him round to the vet tomorrow and hopefully it will be minor or nothing. It does look like a bit of a Hump.
    Fingers crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by NickNack View Post

Its a little hard to tell .... I think I see a HUMP ... but I'm not sure.

The only thing I can think of is a feather cyst which are quite common & the vet will be able to check & tell you right away if that might be it.

Feather cysts are like an ingrown hair on a human. A bump with infection & mucky stuff inside. They can be dealt with easily. I would see the Vet & what they think.

Considering that he just molted, a feather cyst would certainly be a possibility.

How old is he , He maybe moulting into his adult plumage and the feather is longer there. If your really worried see your vet.
    Sit back , Relax , Enjoy !
    Matt.
    http://centralcoastbudgerigarsociety.webs.com/

Hope the little guy is OK. Let us know how the vets visit goes. x

I just wanted to say thanks to all who gave advice on my worry about lemonade's mystery lump. After a visit to the vet it seems he simply has a fat neck! He is okay except there was fatty deposits of skin which caused the raised area.
    The vet said he was very healthy and a lovely bird.
    Seems we just need to cut down on giving him treats and keep an eye on that area

Thread Information