Notices
Closed Thread

Thread: Bourkes

1. #1 Bourkes 
    I know there are a few people on this forum who own Bourkes.
    I am thinking of getting a pair of Rosa Bourkes to go in my aviary (should be finally finished the re-meshing etc this weekend!!!!), they will share this with Zebra Finches and my Budgies. I can't remember how big the aviary is off the top of my head but I have kept Barraband Parakeets in it before with no problems.

I have googled but I seem to just get a jumble of information and not much of what I'm after.

So are they ok with the Budgies? I'm under the impression the Budgies are more likely to be aggressive to the Bourkes? I was planning on putting the Bourkes and the Zebra Finches in the aviary first for a couple of days and then introducing the Budgies.

Also is the diet the same? Currently seed wise the Budgies get Bucktons Continental Budgie and a bit of Canary and the Zebras get a mix of Foreign Finch, Budgie and Canary. Would I need to buy a larger Parrakeet mix?

Also what are they like breeding wise? I do not colony breed my Budgies so breeding pairs are removed and placed in breeding cages however I will be leaving the Zebs to breed in the aviary and was hoping to be able to leave the Bourkes to it, in which case what sort of box would they need? Also how many eggs are laid and what is the incubation period and then how long till they fledge and wean?

I have also read conflicting information on sexing them and I am under the impression that DNA is the best way to go so if anyone can confirm this that would be great.

Also any extras they need diet/ toy/ shelter wise etc?

Thanks for any help, again I have googled but just don't seem to be getting the information I want.

Hi, I have a bourke, gentle very. Hen bugdie, or sometimes any budgie will bully them. Finches will be okay with bourke. Bourke are fairly easy to breed, an I heard breed steadily. No you can sex them by colors, only if you have a pure mutation of bourke, which i suggest you should get. If you do, male have a little bit of blue on their crown. Females have a white stripe on their wing, and have no blue on crown. They can eat normal budgie food. They can use budgie nest boxes, but they perfer cockatiel nest boxes. BTW if you put budgies and bourke, have a very large avairy. They love preening toys, something they can shred, mine loves swings. Make sure they have greens, they seem to grow overweight quickly

Hope this helps
    If you want to live life to the fullest, get a budgie or get budgies

Quote Originally Posted by Unnimaya View Post
    Hi, I have a bourke, gentle very. Hen bugdie, or sometimes any budgie will bully them. Finches will be okay with bourke. Bourke are fairly easy to breed, an I heard breed steadily. No you can sex them by colors, only if you have a pure mutation of bourke, which i suggest you should get. If you do, male have a little bit of blue on their crown. Females have a white stripe on their wing, and have no blue on crown. They can eat normal budgie food. They can use budgie nest boxes, but they perfer cockatiel nest boxes. BTW if you put budgies and bourke, have a very large avairy. They love preening toys, something they can shred, mine loves swings. Make sure they have greens, they seem to grow overweight quickly

Hope this helps
    hell of a post maya nice one

My Budgie Blog.

Please visit my budgie blog by clicking above.

Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee.
    Muhammad Ali US boxer (1942 - )

4. #4 female 
    heres a female bourkeDSC01725.jpg

aww thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wolf king View Post
    hell of a post maya nice one

Quote Originally Posted by Unnimaya View Post

Hope this helps
    Hey thanks for the post

I am only really interested in the Rosa Bourkes which I don't think can be sexed visually :S When you saw they have a white stripe is this on the underneath of the wing or on the outside?
    I did read about the cockatiel nest boxes though and I have something similar that may be useful.

I tried 2 bourkes in my budgie aviary. The bourkes were never completely comfortable as the budgies bullied them off the perches. They are such peaceful birds. In the end my 2 decided to live in the 4ft flight with a pair of weird budgies which give them no grief.
    They didn't enjoy the budgie harassment at all.
    On the diet, i feed normal budgie seed but with daily peas, sweetcorn, lettuce and spinach. Much the same as the budgies but I've noticed their veg intake is more then the budgies. They love hawthorn berries, dried elder berries and especially hemp seeds. The peas are much the favorite
    Nat

Our Rosie is a Rosa Bourke, and she was being badly bullied by a budgie cock when we first got her. They are very quiet, very gentle sweethearts, and will let the budgies have everything rather than fight for it! They can, and do, defend themselves when pushed, but it takes a lot to push them that far. If it were me, I'd try & give the Bourkes a separate area if you can, they'll be much happier.

As Nat says, budgie seed is fine plus greens. I've tried Rosie with fruit, but she doesn't seem interested (perhaps that's just personal preference?). She seems to drink a bit more than the budgies, too.

As for sexing, DNA would give you a "definite", but I've read that males have a domed head, whereas the female's head is flatter. Don't know much about breeding, as we've not got a male, but I noticed Rosie was spreading her tail (& sticking her bum up in the air) about a month ago! I wondered at the time if late summer was Bourke breeding season.
    * Lynne *
    (aka mumsarge and/or Mumsy)

Sometimes i think bourke are too gentle

Quote Originally Posted by nat View Post
    I tried 2 bourkes in my budgie aviary. The bourkes were never completely comfortable as the budgies bullied them off the perches. They are such peaceful birds. In the end my 2 decided to live in the 4ft flight with a pair of weird budgies which give them no grief.
    They didn't enjoy the budgie harassment at all.
    On the diet, i feed normal budgie seed but with daily peas, sweetcorn, lettuce and spinach. Much the same as the budgies but I've noticed their veg intake is more then the budgies. They love hawthorn berries, dried elder berries and especially hemp seeds. The peas are much the favorite
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynne Sargent View Post
    Our Rosie is a Rosa Bourke, and she was being badly bullied by a budgie cock when we first got her. They are very quiet, very gentle sweethearts, and will let the budgies have everything rather than fight for it! They can, and do, defend themselves when pushed, but it takes a lot to push them that far. If it were me, I'd try & give the Bourkes a separate area if you can, they'll be much happier.

As Nat says, budgie seed is fine plus greens. I've tried Rosie with fruit, but she doesn't seem interested (perhaps that's just personal preference?). She seems to drink a bit more than the budgies, too.

As for sexing, DNA would give you a "definite", but I've read that males have a domed head, whereas the female's head is flatter. Don't know much about breeding, as we've not got a male, but I noticed Rosie was spreading her tail (& sticking her bum up in the air) about a month ago! I wondered at the time if late summer was Bourke breeding season.
    Thanks for the replies. I think I will try them in with the Zebras and leave them in the aviary without the Budgies for a while first and slowly introduce the Budgies to them, I was planning on sectioning some of the aviary off so only the Zebras can get there in case the Budgies harass them and will have a cage inside the aviary for a couple of my Budgies who can't fly so at least they can be with company. I will see if I can somehow section an area off for the Bourkes although I'm not sure how this would work. Failing that if the Budgies do harass the Bourkes I do have somewhere else to keep them.

What are your Budgies like without the Bourkes and have you kept them with other birds with the same problems or was it just with the Bourkes?

I think any I get I will DNA just to be positive as I do have the kits and need to do some Geese anyway so can send them all off together.

Also behaviour wise are Bourkes more ground feeders like Turquoisines? My Aviary (once I finish the floor which should be done today) should be 100% Mouse Proof so I can put things on the floor for them to forage around.

Any one have any information on breeding?

bourkes are gentle, so if you have a fight with a budgie they are more likely to abondon that feeding place.< mine> Unless they are like gentle budgies,i dont know maybe baby ones, I wouldnt put budgies with bourkes. Yes, bourkes do forage on the ground, they are ground feeders. Breeding> they will breed steadily>cockatiel nest>wood shavings> usally the usaul this website might help

http://www.grassparakeet.com/bourke.htm

Make sure you get a good line from a reputable breeder. Bourkes are very prone to illness and need to have plenty to do. They don't like alot of noise, my friend's pair refused to eat when he put them next to the budgie cage for a half of the week, once he moved them in the spare room away from the noise, they ate like nothing had changed.

The females have more grey irrc, and a flatter head. Males are a bit rounder, with more blues under the tail and deeper pinks.

They bond well and tend to pick one mate if there are only a couple in the vacinity. As mentioned they like swings and things to preen.

They are poor fliers and "flutter" like butterflies, and are prone to sharp claws so they catch on fabrics easily unless regularly tended to, even with rougher perches.

They will eat cockateil type seeds but will rarely bother with sunflowers so I used to suggest canary and millet seeds with plenty of greens and sparse fruits.

They are very social to people if brought up around them, and will sing the softest most beautiful songs in the morning, afternoon and evening. They sound like a radio turned down low. Females can be stroppy and if they overbond to one person may try to present themselves to you, so shun this behaviour.

Budgies can bully them, and they dislike the noise from budies anyway. Some budgies they will get on OK with (My mikko and Brent's Beau and Fenella got on famously, but Mikko is easygoing and ahs ne to correct him if he puts a foot wrong)

They are wonderful and adorable (wheeto-noses for the win!)

Soph.

"If you think you can, or you think you can't... you'd be right!"
    ~.Bird Trainer, Photographer, Artist, & Professional Procrastinator.~
    Soph's Training Website (under constant construction!) ; http://www.freewebs.com/highfourbirdtraining/index.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Bonesy View Post
    Make sure you get a good line from a reputable breeder. Bourkes are very prone to illness and need to have plenty to do. They don't like alot of noise, my friend's pair refused to eat when he put them next to the budgie cage for a half of the week, once he moved them in the spare room away from the noise, they ate like nothing had changed.

The females have more grey irrc, and a flatter head. Males are a bit rounder, with more blues under the tail and deeper pinks.

They bond well and tend to pick one mate if there are only a couple in the vacinity. As mentioned they like swings and things to preen.

They are poor fliers and "flutter" like butterflies, and are prone to sharp claws so they catch on fabrics easily unless regularly tended to, even with rougher perches.

They will eat cockateil type seeds but will rarely bother with sunflowers so I used to suggest canary and millet seeds with plenty of greens and sparse fruits.

They are very social to people if brought up around them, and will sing the softest most beautiful songs in the morning, afternoon and evening. They sound like a radio turned down low. Females can be stroppy and if they overbond to one person may try to present themselves to you, so shun this behaviour.

Budgies can bully them, and they dislike the noise from budies anyway. Some budgies they will get on OK with (My mikko and Brent's Beau and Fenella got on famously, but Mikko is easygoing and ahs ne to correct him if he puts a foot wrong)

They are wonderful and adorable (wheeto-noses for the win!)

Soph.
    Thanks Soph ,
    Was looking into finding a breeder but no such luck yet, was going to have a look when I popped up West Hagley hopefully next week before they shut down, but I think they only have the Lutino ones at the moment.
    I have plenty of swings My Budgies are obsessed with them!
    I have never seen my Budgies bother with any of the other birds we have, I do occasionally let them out in the main flight which is my dads as this has had a selection of birds in it from Mousebirds, Touracos and Pekins and the Budgies have always steered clear. I was going to try introducing them slowly and start with the most laid back Budgies. If that doesn't work though I do have somewhere else I can keep them.
    Seed wise I feed mine a mix of Budgie, Canary and Foreign Finch so this won't be a problem Can always add some Cockatiel in but I have found the only difference is the Sunflower so I could just buy a bag of that straight and if they don't eat it can keep it for treats for the budgies.

Have found a bit more information on the breeding though

Thread Information