Notices
Closed Thread

Thread: Do budgies need fresh fruit and veg?

1. #1 Question Do budgies need fresh fruit and veg? 
    Ive tryed to get jake to try fruit and veg but no matter how small the peice is he is terrifyed of it. ive even tryed pretending to eat it myself (this worked with my friends green cheek conier) and tryed leaving some in his cage but he is still terrifyed of it.
    He also wont eat those treat sticks you can get from shops, he only eats his seeds and his millet thats it everything else is appreantly scairy.

Blog Entries
    it takes patience to get them to eat thier veg and fruit but keep at it. there is tons of methods
    some budgies prefer leafy greens like carrot tops some prefer blended veg
    try, try and try again

they need veg, just as we do

Ive got Jake to eat cabbage! i hung it on his millit clip yesterday and just left it there, at first he was scaired of it and sat on the opersit of the cage but today its half gone and he has green on his beak

Blog Entries
    you don't want to be feeding cabbage, it can make them very sick!
    stick to the safe list

Quote Originally Posted by PPVallhunds View Post
    Ive tryed to get jake to try fruit and veg but no matter how small the peice is he is terrifyed of it. ive even tryed pretending to eat it myself (this worked with my friends green cheek conier) and tryed leaving some in his cage but he is still terrifyed of it.
    He also wont eat those treat sticks you can get from shops, he only eats his seeds and his millet thats it everything else is appreantly scairy.
    i find leaving it in the cage for them to choose doesnt work in my opion anyway,try offer it from hand and do this every couple of days,budgies are surious about new things and although scared at first will eventaully give anything a go ,keep trying the eating it your self thing,that will have a high succesrate to,not even treat sticks ,hes one picky boy ,keep trying im sure one day hell give it a go,my birds never ate cuttlebone for about a year,but i gave up and then the next year treid it and they dived for it

My Budgie Blog.

Please visit my budgie blog by clicking above.

Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee.
    Muhammad Ali US boxer (1942 - )

Quote Originally Posted by spickydavies View Post
    it takes patience to get them to eat thier veg and fruit but keep at it. there is tons of methods
    some budgies prefer leafy greens like carrot tops some prefer blended veg
    try, try and try again

they need veg, just as we do
    can budgies eat,egg,and very VERY SMALL portions of chicken cant they ?,if they can which im nearly possitive they can maybe try that ,keep trying loads of different kinds of veg and fruit,in different ways(if he has a fav toy clip it to that)

My Budgie Blog.

Kids will always pick chips over salad. Budgies will always choose fatty seeds over anything else.

Remove the seed before you put him to bed, and put spinach in there the next morning for 4hrs. Spinach is the number one veg I find birds will try to eat first.

Once he's nibbled, and gone those 4hrs, put the seed back and ad lib over the week until he's eating them happily. Do the same for the other veggies you offer him.

Soph.

"If you think you can, or you think you can't... you'd be right!"
    ~.Bird Trainer, Photographer, Artist, & Professional Procrastinator.~
    Soph's Training Website (under constant construction!) ; http://www.freewebs.com/highfourbirdtraining/index.htm

Can anyone please provide a link to a list of safe fruit and veg for a budgie to eat. Also can anyone tell me what type of weeds other than dandelion a budgie can eat? Can you give a budgie cooked potatos mashed up before you add the milk and butter? I have been trying to get my budgie to eat apple as its the only fruit i know is safe for them but he is not having any of it just ignores it. I have tried putting it in all his choosen seating spots in his cage and even put it in a coop cup with some water to see if he would go for that but he didn't.
    All help is appreciated and taken into consideration.

Blog Entries
    Nutritious Additions

Vegetables

-Radishes
    -Turnips
    -Carrots (root and tops)
    -Cooked sweet potatoes
    -Radicchio
    -Endive
    -Mustard & dandelion greens
    -Swiss Chard
    -Kale
    -Parsley
    -Cooked red potatoes
    -Green beans
    -Bok Choy
    -Tomato (acidy)
    -Sweet red & green, and other types of peppers
    -Cauliflower
    -Broccoli (head and leaves)
    -Beet & turnip greens
    -Kohlrabi
    -Sugar snap or snow peas
    -Squash (peeled & steamed)
    -Red beets (peeled)
    -Romaine or green/red leaf lettuce
    -Collard greens
    -Corn
    -Cucumber

Fruits

-Apples
    -Berries
    -Kiwi
    -Mango
    -Cantaloupe
    -Honeydew
    -Pineapple
    -Cherries
    -Cranberries
    -Banana
    -Pears
    -Peaches
    -Oranges
    -Pomegranate
    -Tangerines
    -Star fruit
    -Grapefruit
    -Papaya
    -Grapes
    -Apricots

Wash all vegetables and fruits thoroughly before feeding. Remove the pits and all seeds from the fruit. Any vegetables and fruits left uneaten should be discarded daily so spoiling is not a problem. Because vegetables and fruits are high in water content, the urine portion of the droppings will increase.

Helpful tips for those who are beginning

Adding variety and appeal: Birds decide what to eat by sight, texture, and taste. Offer a wide variety of vegetables and fruit to provide a balanced diet. Keep them in as natural a state as possible and be creative when preparing meals. Hang food from the cage top or sides, weave food into the bars of the cage, or stuff food in the spaces of toys. As an example, for larger birds, feed corn on the cob rather than feeding kernels of corn in a dish. This will help entertain the bird as well as provide physical and mental stimulation.

Switching your bird from a seed-based diet: It is much easier to start a young bird on a varied diet of healthy foods than it is to convert an older bird to a new diet. A bird on an unhealthy diet may take more effort to be converted to a healthier diet. For more information, see our article: Switching from a Seed-based to a Pelleted Diet. When switching a pet bird's diet to one based on pelleted foods, you may notice a change in the bird's droppings, which will appear larger and lighter in color. If you see only scants amount of dark droppings, contact your veterinarian; it may mean your bird is not eating well and may need to be converted more slowly.

Can't forget this now can I.

Foods to avoid

Some foods are also labeled as do-not feed. These include:

High-fat junk food (potato chips, doughnuts, etc.)
    Avocado (guacamole)
    Chocolate
    Alcohol or caffeine
    Fruit pits
    Persimmons
    Table salt
    Onions
    Apple seeds
    Mushrooms
    just a basic one, a simple google search will give you plently of answers

Quote Originally Posted by spickydavies View Post
    just a basic one, a simple google search will give you plently of answers
    in my opion its not realy that simple there are a lot of debates as to whats safe and whats not,for instense i gave my budgies tea when they were ill,thats caffeine and there fine also i though tomatoes were on the UNsafe list,on another website,?? just my opion though

My Budgie Blog.

Blog Entries
    a simple list .
    budgies can drink weak camomile tea and some other herbal teas.
    like it says in brackets tomatoes are very acidic, some birds can react bad to them and are known to develop stomach ulcers, while others are not as sensitive
    so depends if you want to risk it

Quote Originally Posted by wolf king View Post
    in my opion its not realy that simple there are a lot of debates as to whats safe and whats not,for instense i gave my budgies tea when they were ill,thats caffeine and there fine also i though tomatoes were on the UNsafe list,on another website,?? just my opion though
    There are always going to be debates over what is safe and what isn't. A lot depends on the individual bird, one bird may react to something whereas it won't affect another bird.
    At the end of the day it's best to go with your instinct, if your not sure about something DON'T feed it.

That list has helped me clear a couple up, thanks Spicky

thanks guys, and thanks for that list spickydavies, think ill go shopping for him tomorrow and ill take the cabbage out straight away.

I dont know trust me to get him to eat something he shouldnt lol

Thread Information