Notices
Closed Thread

Thread: Antibiotic overdose symptoms?

1. #1 Antibiotic overdose symptoms? 
    So I found a new vet, brought my budgie to her.. She said the birdie has a sinus infection which what's causing her eye problems. Gave me antibiotics.
    I've been having some issues myself (just can't afford to go to a human doctor), and I misunderstood something she said.. or something. I just realize I've been making a mistake now.

Last night was shaking up her medicine to mix it up, thinking "this stuff isn't going to last 10 days.." and reread the bottle (I had read it when I got home, so I must've also misread it) and it said 0.01ml. Apparently I've been giving her 0.1ml instead. Which is what my other budgie was taking when he was on antibiotics..

So I skipped last night's dosage, just in case.. I had given her 0.6ml before then (6 doses). I feel like absolute crap over it, laid in bed wondering what's going to happen to her. It doesn't SEEM like anything is wrong.. her eye is MUCH less puffy and red and definitely looking back to normal. She's still really thin, which I've been working on getting her weight back up, but now I'm not sure if it's my imagination or if she's even thinner.

So I'm wondering what antibiotic overdose symptoms would be in a budgie..
    ~Aithne

Blog Entries
    ring up your vet just to double check the dosage
    you might have to restart if you missed a day, i'm sure she'll be fine
    i hope you get better soon aswell x

Blog Entries
    I agree with you the dosages can be a nightmare to read correctly, don't worry as they drink very little water your bird will not have overdosed.

It's not the kind you put in the water, which is my problem.. It's the kind you fill up the syringe and squirt in their mouth. So she's definitely gotten ALL of it.

And I haven't missed a day, only one dose.. which since she's had like 60x what she should've had..
    I'm just scared of her dying because of my stupidity.
    ~Aithne

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by aithne View Post
    It's not the kind you put in the water, which is my problem.. It's the kind you fill up the syringe and squirt in their mouth. So she's definitely gotten ALL of it.

And I haven't missed a day, only one dose.. which since she's had like 60x what she should've had..
    I'm just scared of her dying because of my stupidity.
    I am confident your bird will be okay just miss a few days of its meds

Yeah.. I just found another post on some other site of someone saying they did basically the same thing, for the same amount of time.. except theirs is .05 and they were giving .5 and their bird was fine. Makes me feel a little better about myself, heh..
    I'll call the vet later for advice about if I run out of medicine or what I should do. Thanks.
    ~Aithne

Thread Information