Notices
Closed Thread

Thread: How can you tell if hen is egg bound?

1. #1 How can you tell if hen is egg bound? 
    I have a pair that are on their second clutch of eggs. The hen has laid 3 eggs, her last egg being laid on 10-07-10. I would thought she would have laid more by now. I will say her first clutch she only laid 4 eggs total. So maybe she is done.
    I did pluck their feathers recently after she started to lay the second clutch. They had been in the breeding cage for awhile before they started to lay their first clutch so I knew they were due. I wanted to be sure their second eggs were as fertile as their first.
    I may have screwed up, I am feeling quilty.
    Would plucking their vent feathers cause a hen to become egg bound? I have felt of her vent and I do not feel an egg but there could be one as I am new to this. She seems to act fine but I am concerned for her.
    I need to know how to tell if they are. I am new to this so I tend to worry.
    Valerie

Quote Originally Posted by ValerieB View Post
    I have a pair that are on their second clutch of eggs. The hen has laid 3 eggs, her last egg being laid on 10-07-10. I would thought she would have laid more by now. I will say her first clutch she only laid 4 eggs total. So maybe she is done.
    I did pluck their feathers recently after she started to lay the second clutch. They had been in the breeding cage for awhile before they started to lay their first clutch so I knew they were due. I wanted to be sure their second eggs were as fertile as their first.
    I may have screwed up, I am feeling quilty.
    Would plucking their vent feathers cause a hen to become egg bound? I have felt of her vent and I do not feel an egg but there could be one as I am new to this. She seems to act fine but I am concerned for her.
    I need to know how to tell if they are. I am new to this so I tend to worry.
    Valerie
    Firstly plucking the vent feathers will not in any contribute to egg binding etc.

If she only laid 4 in the first round I would not be too worried some hens simply lay as many as others.

When Eggbound you tend to to find the hens sit fluffed up on the cage floor, have trouble perching and flying and generally are not very active. You can also feel the egg if you hold the bird and gently feel around.

By the sound of it your bird appears to be fine, just out of interest how old are the birds and what are you feeding them?

My Budgie Blog.

Please visit my budgie blog by clicking above.

Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee.
    Muhammad Ali US boxer (1942 - )

They are 09 birds. I feed sprouted grains,seeds, beans and veggies which I add powdered kelp and calcium/d3 too. I feed seeds and millet spray.
    I checked out that site right after I posted and I think she is fine. I put some spray millet in the nest box and she has already eated some. I will know more about this in future.
    I was just being a worried mother hen, no pun intended.
    Valerie

Quote Originally Posted by ValerieB View Post
    They are 09 birds. I feed sprouted grains,seeds, beans and veggies which I add powdered kelp and calcium/d3 too. I feed seeds and millet spray.
    I checked out that site right after I posted and I think she is fine. I put some spray millet in the nest box and she has already eated some. I will know more about this in future.
    I was just being a worried mother hen, no pun intended.
    Valerie
    All seems fine to me
    I know how you feel about the worried hen bit lol.

Please keep us updated and pictures would be nice

Blog Entries
    She is not egg bound Valerie

Thread Information