Notices
Closed Thread

Thread: Bleeding around beak and mouth

1. #1 Bleeding around beak and mouth 
    can anyone help?

we have a budgie of about 18 months of age, she has started to bleed around the beak - there are no signs of a cut and no signs of her catching herself on anything int he cage.

we have read some items on disfigured beaks but nothing seams to fit the symptons.

thanks

Could this be an accident/scratch from another budgie ~ does she live alone?
    The best advice you would get is taking the budgie to an avian vet if possible as it is a wound that should be checked.

no she lives alone. the "wound" hasn't bleed for a while, but she still has some blood stained feathers around the beak.

she is eating both soft and hard foods no problem and is not acting out of character

Odd. Perhaps she could have caught herself by accident while grooming. Check her nails and make sure they are plenty long but not curling around on themselves. Occasionally you may need to have a vet trim them.

dose she have a scab around her wings she happend to open? I think you should take a look at her and check to see were the blood might be coming from.

You're sure it's blood? Because if it's brown, like dried blood, it could be a nasal discharge that means she has a cold. Either way, I think it's worth a call to the vet.

I was going to say, could definitely be something from the nose. Call a vet and have her checked over. Don't worry too much.

Thread Information