Notices
Closed Thread

Thread: When to use Ivermectin?

1. #1 When to use Ivermectin? 
    I read the article in one thread here and I decided to write a brief remark to this topic. Unfortunately most of us probably have met various parasites at our birds. It is very difficult to eliminate these parasites and to get rid them. It is valid especially for outer aviary and big breeding.

We have several possibilities in principle:

Ivermectin, Stronghold, Scatt, Cydectin etc. if we are speaking about mites in respiratory system (Air sac mites) or some digestive tract parasites. Against Scaly Face Mite or Leg Mites we can use S76 Ectodex (good choice), Milben Zerstauber from Beaphar or even so called Milben Strip from Beaphar as well.

The Scatt preparative uses the active ingredient - Moxidectin. This drug kills the mite via nerve impulses and then the mites are paralysed and die. Scatt is not recommended for use on birds younger 6 months. S76 is excellent preparative as well without any side effects. You can use it even without any age restriction. S76 is a good choice for Scaly face mites (not for blood sucking parasites).

Scatt is better solution then Ivermectin if you have some possibility to get it.

According to the some published experiences Moxidectin is more effective against mites in respiratory system then Ivermectin. Nevertheless despite it Cydectin and Ivomec (Ivermectin) can be good helpers.

Well I said that very good choice is so called Scatt. This is a preparative developed by the Vetafarm company in Australia. This preparative was developed directly for birds and its side effects are suppressed (in comparison with Ivermectin). Unfortunately this preparative is not registered in The Czech Republic and it is not possible to get it. This drug is effective against all parasites except tapeworm. I tried to get this preparative in Canada with the help my friend in Toronto but I have not got any reply so far.

Ivermectin is very simalar with its chemical composition to the well known Stronghold. But Ivermectin was originally developed for farming animals (sheep, cows, horses etc.) and Stronghold for dogs and cats.

Ivermectin can be applied oral or as a drop on the bird skin. As Ivermectin is only partly soluble in water then we have to dilute Ivermectin with propylene glykole and then with water. This procedure is a little complicated for most of keepers therefore drop on skin is a better choice. But even in this case it is recommended to dilute Ivermectin with propylene glycol from the reason of better skin penetration.

It is well known that some dogs are not allowed to accept Ivermectin. Then can die. It is possible that some budgies can be more sensitive on Ivermectin and they will die after application. Or over dosage can be dangerous for them as well. Therefore be very careful if you apply Ivermectin especially if you do not have experience with this preparative. If you have a cage in the flat do not use Ivermectin as preventive treatment. It is needless.

Well, what to do?

I think if we are only bird keepers and we have our budgies in inner aviary or cage in a flat then It is very good choice to use:

Milben strip – white „hoses“ with active substance which we can slip over the perches. This is excellent method without any stress for birds (effective against scaly face and leg mites)

Milben Zerstauber – effective spray against mites for all birds. We have to catch the bird, protect its eyes and mouth and to spray a bird. (Effective against scaly face, red mites and leg mites)

Ectodex – very effective against leg mites and scaly face. It suffices to catch a bird and spread the substance on its leg and beak. It is necessary to dilute it with water (effective against scaly face and leg mites)

Scatt – effective against almost all parasites

If we are breeders and we have outside aviary then it is more complicated situation. The birds are in contact with outer environment, wild bird etc. They have to use preventive treatment from time to time.

Then there is necessary to use either Scatt (recommended) or Ivermectin.

Attachment 3489
    This is Ivermectin in the syringe. I have it for some emergency causes of Air Suc Mites infestation in my bird medical cabinet. I have never had to use it so far.

Attachment 3490
    Milben Strip from Beaphar

Attachment 3491
    Excellent preparative against mites from Beaphar

Remember - not always is necessary to use Ivermectin.
    Last edited by Adf; 15-08-2008 at 07:22 AM.

Hi Ales,

I note your concerns about ivermectin - over in the UK ivermectin is purchased in different strengths for size of bird, i.e. the ivermectin drops I have are 0.1% in a propylene glycol base, plus it also gives a scale of how many drops for bodyweight - up to 60g bodyweight = one drop etc. For larger birds I think I have seen it as 0.8% dilution. The packaging states for topical use only.

Regarding it killing dogs, I believe it is only certain breeds like sheepdogs ('lassie' type) or Shetland Sheepdogs where the active ingredient passes through the blood/brain barrier.

Vivienne

Exactly Vivienne. I did not know what is the name of this dog race in English (Kolie in Czech).

In greek it's Kolei. I will search for that Milben Strip, i've seen beaphar products in petshops here, so i better be prepared
    Thank you Adf, this thread of yours is very informative
    Giouli

It is alwas better to be prepared Giouli. Today I bought a new infrared lamp for my hospital cage.

Blog Entries
    we have a scaremonger posted on the scaly face thread and i could say the same about multi vitamins yet the answer is so simple do not overdose,overeat or overdrink and this applies to your birds also.

i have used ivermectin since the early 80s and always give one drop on the back of the neck per year,i have no problems with mites or dying birds.

i have found the majority of pet budgie keepers accept advice and any i give you will be from my 48 years experience of breeding,exhibiting and judging budgerigars.

what we must all understand all medicinals have known side affects printed on the product if we suffered from all of these we may well be all dead,perhaps now ivermectin will have a new side affect listed DO NOT USE ON BUDGIES IT KILLS.

Quote Originally Posted by viv-ann View Post
    Regarding it killing dogs, I believe it is only certain breeds like sheepdogs ('lassie' type) or Shetland Sheepdogs where the active ingredient passes through the blood/brain barrier.

Vivienne
    I should also have mentioned that this was when the product was only licensed in the UK for use in cattle (Ivomec) and horses (Eqvalan) and vets were using ivermectin injection as a (last resort, I think) treatment of dermodectic mange.

I personally have no problem with using ivermectin on birds, as long as I have the correct dilution and use the correct dose.
    Vivienne

Thread Information