Notices
Closed Thread

Thread: Cockatiels

1. #1 Cockatiels 
    Except for the Budgerigar, the Cockatiel is rated as the most popular and widely kept of the approximately 340 species of the order of psittacine birds. They are a hardier bird than their rival, the Budgie, and have a life span of 15 to 20 years versus the Budgie's 7 to 8. They are gentle and sociable by nature and have pert, bright personalities. They quickly pick up words and phrases and especially love to whistle. Their speech may not be as clear as that of the larger birds, but they are by comparison much less expensive. There is no more ideal pet for the novice than a young, hand fed Cockatiel. Advice from a breeder.

I am planning on getting a pair of cockatiels once my aviary is setup, they certainly are a favourite of mine.

Although I've been a budgie person since childhood, I presently have just one bird, a cockatiel. If there are other cockatiel folks reading, maybe we can have some interesting discussion.

My cousin has a cockatiel that she bought from a pet shop. From experience, all cockateils I have met at pet stores are mean and nasty. She says this bird is differnt and seems to be hand raised. Recently I have visited a pet store with cockatiels so tame they are not caged and are free to be handled with supervision. I was afraid to let one perch on me but a kid just picked one up and handed one to me. My mind is changing about cockatiels and I may get one in the future. A speckled female was very freindly to me and didnt seem nervous around people at all. Their beaks intimidate me because Moons beak is very small but can leave a mark and a cockateils beak is even bigger! I will have to talk my mom into getting a cockatiel from that certain petstore. They seemed very heathy and freindly.

It's good to hear you're getting over your dislike of cockatiels. Sounds like you met some bad apples so I can see why you think as you do. Handfed babies are different than what you've experienced. Cockatiels can be very personable, much in the way budgies are. Maybe you'll get to spend some time with your cousin's bird and see for yourself.

I had a cockatiel for a long time. He was great! He loved our family and was very friendly. I trained him myself since he was a baby and got him to sing, talk, and join us outside of his cage on a daily basis. I had to give him away to a good home because I went back to work full time and never got to spend any time with him. So, I felt he needed the attention I couldn't give him. I miss him!!

My experience of cockatiels has been a joy. We have two, a male 'I-scream' and a female 'Tetso' which we have spent months hand taming. They are extremely active, alert and funny and only use their cage for eating and drinking. I still have not been bitten, even though they sit on my head, preen my hair, eyebrows and eyelashes! They fly to sit on my shoulder and nibble my ears and occasionaly like to do a dental examination, followed by a kiss! They love bathing together, playing chase on the floor, practicing with precision their aerobatics, and showing off their intelligence. Really, they are like little people! Time and perseverence pays off big time. They are my dudes! Pride and joy. Oh...they do like to talk...a lot.

I have 4 now in my aviary, not tame but I think I'll spend more time with them in the next few months, they certainly are intelligent birds and very mesmerising to watch.

I love cockatiels, and would have another any day.

I have two young ones now! One's about 5-6 months old (Cookie) and the other is 7 weeks old (Bailee).

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Moon View Post
    My cousin has a cockatiel that she bought from a pet shop. From experience, all cockateils I have met at pet stores are mean and nasty. She says this bird is differnt and seems to be hand raised. Recently I have visited a pet store with cockatiels so tame they are not caged and are free to be handled with supervision. I was afraid to let one perch on me but a kid just picked one up and handed one to me. My mind is changing about cockatiels and I may get one in the future. A speckled female was very freindly to me and didnt seem nervous around people at all. Their beaks intimidate me because Moons beak is very small but can leave a mark and a cockateils beak is even bigger! I will have to talk my mom into getting a cockatiel from that certain petstore. They seemed very heathy and freindly.
    My experience has been the opposite. Whenever I go to the pet shop for bird supplies, I always stop and visit the birds. I have never had a cockatiel misbehave in my presence. They are always very calm and good natured. I suppose it depends where the pet shop sources their animals. In USA we have a problem with breeders who sell unweaned birds to pet shops and the employees are supposed to hand rear them until they are ready for sale. It is cheaper for the pet shops that way. These birds usually develop social disorders that birds properly reared by their parents don't, but the demand for exotic birds is so high here, that there aren't enough breeders to meet the demand if they wait for the parents to properly rear the babies. Some places try to pass laws against the selling of unweaned birds, but there is no nationwide effort, so protection for the birds is spotty and not uniform. Many birds also die because they aren't being properly cared for. I read of a conure baby that starved to death because the breeder told the pet store to feed it twice a day when in reality they should have been feeding it every 2 hours. To feed it every two hours, they would have had to keep people working there all day and night and they wouldn't have bought the birds if they had known that in advance so the breeder lied about it's requirements to make a sale.

i had a cockatiel once but it s not good to let cockatiels with budgies together

As long as there is space in an aviary cockatiels get on fine with budgies, but not in a small cage.

13. #13 Cockatiels in UK 
    Dear All,
    I was interested in topic re: tiels and have had one now for nearly 16 years. Or is it 17? Gosh, he's old!!! Anyway, he has lost two partners in the past year and I'd very much like to find another female cockatiel for him. I'm writing to you guys in case you, or someone you know, is wanting to re-home an older cockatiel hen -- I don't think getting a baby, which seems my only other option at the moment, is really appropriate.

Let me just add this, so I have a bit of budgie-cred here: I have kept both budgies and cockatiels, and though I prefer the colors and chirps of budgies, I have had much more luck with taming cockatiels and getting a lot of noises out of them that are supposed to be words (and phones, and drills, and breadmakers, and sneezing, and trickling water, etc.).

Please note I'm located in Oxfordshire, England. Kat.

Quote Originally Posted by katpat23 View Post
    Dear All,
    I was interested in topic re: tiels and have had one now for nearly 16 years. Or is it 17? Gosh, he's old!!! Anyway, he has lost two partners in the past year and I'd very much like to find another female cockatiel for him. I'm writing to you guys in case you, or someone you know, is wanting to re-home an older cockatiel hen -- I don't think getting a baby, which seems my only other option at the moment, is really appropriate.

Let me just add this, so I have a bit of budgie-cred here: I have kept both budgies and cockatiels, and though I prefer the colors and chirps of budgies, I have had much more luck with taming cockatiels and getting a lot of noises out of them that are supposed to be words (and phones, and drills, and breadmakers, and sneezing, and trickling water, etc.).

Please note I'm located in Oxfordshire, England. Kat.
    Hello Kat, welcome to the forum. Maybe you could start a thread in the Trading Post.http://http://www.budgerigars.co.uk/...splay.php?f=20

Good luck!

Thread Information