Notices
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Budgie Sleep!

1. #1 Budgie Sleep! 
    Hi,
    Maybe a daft question, but how much sleep should a budgie get. My new budgies are kept in the living room and I don't put the lights out till midnight, and am up again at 7.30am. Is this enough sleep for them or do they have a nap during the day?!
    Thanks
    Ian

Hi Ian,
    I have two budgies myself, have kept budgies for many years. I found that covering their cage with a suitable cloth not only quietens them but they're not disturbed by the light or me moving around and sleep quite peacefully till the cover is removed next morning. They will, innitially, be a little scared when you put the cloth over the cage, but they soon get used to it. Hope this helps? Regards Marguerite

Budgies like to have around 10-12 hours sleep per day, not all is taken at night though as they nap during the day. If your budgie starts acting up it may be through lack of sleep.

Hi Scott - looking back through some old posts and I came across this one about sleep. It has made me think about my daughter's birds. She doesn't cover them at night and, where she lives, she has no curtains at the window in that room and there are streetlights on during the night. Could this affect the birds? I have always covered over my birds late evening until the next morning - I have always thought that was for me rather than them - but I can now see that they need their rest too.

I stopped covering my bird because it was my way of giving him "timeout" when he was naughty. He's learnt that if he's mouthy, he gets 3 verbal warnings then the sheet for 10 minutes. I just dim the lights in the evening as I can be up until the early hours working, as i am now. Some birds will slowly get used to your routine & go to sleep in thier own time given subdued light & quiet.

My Eddie seems to like 8hrs of sleep, like me, and even if the curtains get left open in the morning, if it's not been 8hrs he'll still have his wee head tucked under a wing, fast asleep bless him. Routine is just as important to a bird as anything else, though everybody else has different views on it & different natured birds.

"If you think you can, or you think you can't... you'd be right!"
    ~.Bird Trainer, Photographer, Artist, & Professional Procrastinator.~
    Soph's Training Website (under constant construction!) ; http://www.freewebs.com/highfourbirdtraining/index.htm

I don't think they would absolutely need covered as they would settle and sleep, if your budgie wasn't sleeping well though a cover helps them to settle down in complete darkness and get a good sleep.

mine sleep pretty well, and i dont' have many lites on in the house and as a result i dont' cover them. when i bought them i asked about this and the pet store never covered them either. right now as i sit here and type this their cage is right next to me and they are sleeping ...

Mine gets moved to a darker and quieter room in the evening (mainly so that my parents can watch the TV in peace!), He doesn’t seem to have any problems drifting off to sleep, and is usually awake as the sun rises

Budgies need 12 hours sleep, any less can make them crabby. makesure they are in a quiet room to sleep xxx

10. #10 Budgie sleep 
    Hi,
    Thanks to all the folk that replied to this query. I cover my two budgies up around midnight and take the cover off around 8am. It's pretty dark now up here in Aberdeen - (only light from around 8.30 to 3.30). I've got a light on a timer to come on about 3.30pm. Is this really necessary or should I just let them sit in the dark till I'm home at 6pm?

The light is fine hun, just cover them about 8pm though xxxx

Yep it sure is dark early here now. I'd cover them earlier as well.

13. #13 Smile  
    Funny question I know, but does anybody's birds dream or snore..? My eddie seems to dream alot & has a good gurgle to himself with his wee face stuffed under his wing... it's all i can do to stand there & not laugh, it's so cute!

"If you think you can, or you think you can't... you'd be right!"
    ~.Bird Trainer, Photographer, Artist, & Professional Procrastinator.~
    Soph's Training Website (under constant construction!) ; http://www.freewebs.com/highfourbirdtraining/index.htm

All my birds only ever got about 7 hours sleep but got covered up at night and got a few hours kip in the afternoon which is when they seem to like to nap. They tend to nap if you do to. If I decided to lie on the bed and relax with my eyes shut they would land on me and inspect me to see it I was asleep. If I had my eyes shut they thought I was asleep and would go in their cage and do the same. Sometimes I would start laughing at them cos they are so sweet quietly moved around on you trying to work out if anybody 'is at home'. Then they would get noisy and want to play.

I would love to lie on the bed and have my budgies feel safe enough to come investigate me. Unfortunately, I have a cat, so the birds are kept in "the birdroom" and I go in there to interact with them or else take them in the bathroom and shut the door.

Thread Information