Notices
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My Budgie keeps sneezing help please

1. #1 My Budgie keeps sneezing help please 
    Hello Everyone

Its me again. I have noticed my new budgie Danny keeps sneezing now and then? Can someone tell me is that normal and is it bad? Why does he do that?

My last budgie used to sneeze a lot as well. Please can someone tell me why my budgies are sneezing?

Here are pics of my new budgie and my budgies nosterils are clear you can see in the pics:

http://profile.imageshack.us/user/adam1379

Also how often should I spray my budgie with water? And how should I do this?

Can someone also tell me how I can train my budgie in a bird bath as my last budgie wouldnt go near the bird bath.

Many Thanks again to everyone for being so helpful and please do reply as I need your help.

Thanks

Adam

Hi Adam - don't know about the sneezing but I sure someone else will later.

Bathing - I have been lucky that all but one of my budgies loved bathing. Either in a bath attached to the cage (changed water daily because he used to drink from it too despite having a water fountain) or in a shallow dish outside of the cage. The one that didn't like bathing, I used a fine mist sprayer (filled with tepid water) - while he was in the cage - every 2/3 days or so. Not sure if that is the right amount but he immediately preened himself and it seemed to keep him clean. (I used to take that opportunity to wipe the cage down too because, of course, it got wet from the spraying.

Hi everyone

Thanks jackie and everyone for your help.

Ill hope someone can tell me what the sneezing is all about.

Thanks

Adam

My boy sneezes alot aswell, I dont know why. It may just be him breathing his own featherdust & getting a tickle. Though my bird has a deformed beak & nostril, so I dont know for sure.

You could try spraying around the whole cage more to lower the dust count.

"If you think you can, or you think you can't... you'd be right!"
    ~.Bird Trainer, Photographer, Artist, & Professional Procrastinator.~
    Soph's Training Website (under constant construction!) ; http://www.freewebs.com/highfourbirdtraining/index.htm

Try a humidifier (sp) on low setting in the room for a few days and see if that makes a difference. I've had a few over the years that sneezed quite a bit, I noticed a reduction when I turned on a humidifer. Kinda strange though because in their natural environment, it is dry heat that they like... oh well.

You could have a point there Ryan, my budgie likes to pearch over my fishtanks when he's out, especially warm ones that give off some humidity.

Soph's Training Website (under constant construction!) ; http://www.freewebs.com/highfourbirdtraining/index.htm

Hello everyone

Thanks so much Bonesy for your kind replies to my questions and thanks to Ryan too.

I have a Humidifier at home so ill try that.

Also Bonesy, that winking and closing my eyes thing you told me to try with my budgie has really worked. I am amazed, he responded right away.

Thanks to you all

8. #8 Smile Sneezing. 
    Hi Adam.

when he sneezes does fluid come out of his nostrells ?
    If you touch the coloured part of his cere is it fleshy and soft or is it hard ?

If the answer to these questions is yes then he may have tricomaniasis not sure of the spelling and if so you can get medicine for it.

Please let me know and i will be glad to help .

John

Fallowman.

9. #9 Smile  
    Good to know I've helped you Adam

Essentially it's a trust & bonding exersise, the more you sit there with him & do it, the more he will learn to trust you. Flocks of budgies will do this to eachother if you watch them, or pairs with eachother.

Another thing that may be of use to you, is if he screams or sqwawks at you, try whispering to him & trying a 3-step warning system to a Time Out.
    A firm but quiet No, praise if he stops, then repeat twice more if he doesnt, then silently put a black sheet or such over the cage & tell him "Time-out!" and leave him for 10-15 minutes. He should remain silent, and if he does, remove the sheet while praising him & use the word "Quiet" alot when he is silent, it comes in handy later if he begins to associate it.

This way, you are not encouraging him to scream by screaming back at him, and punishing him with a breakoff from his "flock" (you), and by him being quiet, he gets rewarded with the return of you, which is what he was screaming for in the first place. By bypassing the attention-screams and teaching him this system, he will learn not to screech for attention.

Eddie doesnt utter a word unless he's singing to some music or he's replying to a bird outside. Living in a flat, a quiet bird was essential for me

Hope you find out whats causing your wee budgie's sneeze-a-roozles .

I think all my birds have sneezed at one time or another. My last two used to sneeze on me....luckily it is just like water so not too vile! I thought they were getting a cold but don't know whether they can get colds, I don't recall having one that did have. I would say don't worry unless they are particularly quiet or their eyes are weepy or sticky or not eating, etc. the usual signs of illness. Hope this helps.

one of mine sneezes like crazy

Budgies can get colds. Unlike human colds, they won't go away by themselves (not caused by viruses but by bacteria). So unless the budgie gets treatment it will die. Keep a close eye on your budgie. When does it sneeze? How often? Is there any discharge, if so, is it clear? Is your bird active or fluffed up and calm? Budgies are very good at hiding illness - this is their instinct as in the wild, sick birds are banned from the flock. So if you do think your bird has picked up a cold, take it to an avian vet asap. If it is not a cold, try putting a wet cloth on the radiator for some humidity - birds need it. If the air is too dry, it makes them sneeze which can lead to infections as well.

Auckland, New Zealand, moving to 100 acres in Tauranga
    Hi there guys, newbe here. I have recently got a young budgie and was thinking of getting another. Are males and females better together? My budgie's cere is still a liliac colour, so i am unsure what sex he/she is yet, but once i know, I would like to get him a friend. Thanks

Hi 'Walter' - welcome to the forum. Lots of friendly and useful advice on this forum. Your question might get answered here but might be better to start a new thread. Go back to General and click on new thread. Then you will get everyone's attention immediately. Good luck.

Welcome! It is great to hear that you want to get your budgie a friend. He/she will be very happy.The best thing would be to get a male budgie. Then you can't go wrong! Two males would be very happy together, as would be a female and a male. Two females however would be a no-no. Hope this helps.

Thread Information