Notices
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Budgies eating bread

1. #1 Budgies eating bread 
    Hi does anyone feed there budgies bread i have twice they like it so do my finches its realy for my quail but all of the birds like it.

Mazarron, Murcia, Spain (formerly Shrewsbury, Shropshire)
    I sometimes give them the crusts of wholemeal bread and they like it so hope it is ok for them.
    Val Bedwell B7287 & 2B-63...
    "Be who you are and say what you feel...Because those that matter don't mind...And those that mind don't matter"

A little bit of toast to chew on.

I've always dampened bread before offering it to my bird. Once & a while though, and only wholemeal.

"If you think you can, or you think you can't... you'd be right!"
    ~.Bird Trainer, Photographer, Artist, & Professional Procrastinator.~
    Soph's Training Website (under constant construction!) ; http://www.freewebs.com/highfourbirdtraining/index.htm

My last bird liked wholemeal toast including landing in the middle of it when buttered.....I learnt from that. She tried to eat everything and used to scream if she was in her cage and I was eating something she wanted. She liked sour cream and onion pringles. Yes I know not ideal but I only let her have a small bit a few times and she bit it off and chucked it on the floor which made her happy. Her favourite food was red millet and groats but only as treats. Fresh stuff she just turned her beak up at.

when i have a hen with chicks i give whole meal bread soaked in milk.
    on a saturday after breakfast(never have brekki during the week..if i do i have to get up to early to get to work)i give them the crusts of my toast................the misses wont cut the crust of for me.......she does for the kids....?PUTTING MY FOOT DOWN ON SATURDAY.NO MORE CRUSTS.NO MORE CRUSTS..LOL

lol....i give me budgies bread and biscuits... they love the biscuits which have fennel seeds in it.... also rich tea biscuits that will get munched away in noo time!!

Sugar, salt - yes they love eating it but it is NOT good for them at all...you should not feed them bread or biscuits!

I think its like most things, if you continuously feed your budgie bread, or biscuits, or millet etc then no, of course its not good for them. However, surely if you give them small bits occasionally as a treat, it wouldn’t do them any harm, and you’ll be making the menu a little bit more interesting for them.

You can make the menu interesting by adding all kinds of fruit and vegetables. Food that is meant for humans should not be fed to budgies. Chocolate can kill a dog. And imagine how tiny a budgie is!

Ah ok, I’m going to ask this then for my own educational purposes only so please don’t form a lynch mob just yet!

Taking the example, I understand that chocolate is poisonous to dogs due to theobromine (?). As it’s clear from previous posts that people do feed their birds bread on an infrequent basis, what harm would this be doing do their animals? I’d imagine that the bread would bloat / upset their stomachs wouldn’t it? (or am I thinking hedgehogs?!?)

I am not saying that bread is toxic to budgies in the same way that chocolate is toxic to dogs. What I AM saying is that all that budgies need (and their bodies can cope with) is bird seed, water, fruit, vegetables and bird grit - the same diet they would eat in the wild in Australia. The problem with human food is the spices, especially salt. There is salt in bread. I know that budgies seem to love salt and would eat as much as they can get their beaks on - but the truth is that their kidneys cannot cope with salt. If they get too much there will be a toxic reaction. Sugar is not just fattening but bad for their liver (biscuits!). Milk is a no no as well...a budgie is unable to digest lactose. So even if a little bit of whatever might not do them any obvious (but possibly long-term!) harm, I am asking myself: why take the risk?!?!?!?!! We all want the best for our budgies - and the best does not include human food in any way shape or form. If you want to share a snack with your little guys - have an apple, a banana, a carrot... this is healthier for the human too! ;o)

Right gotcha! (light bulb goes from dim to full beam!) thanks Sandra! I'm just trying to research into as much info as possible before my budgie comes back home, and all these pieces of information helps me with my 'do's and don'ts' list!

Sure, no problem. Oh and the most important "DO" on your "how do I make my budgie happy" list is: have at least two budgies!

hole meal breads good because it has seeds in it sometimes

Thread Information